Sunday, 31 July 2011

Farwell BPS

Last week I had my last days of substitute teaching at Berowra Public School.  I went back to my duties as the librarian and taught the kids all about Cadel Evans.  For those of you who have no idea who I am talking about, he just won the Tour De France and was the first Australian to do so.  He was also one of the oldest.  According to the kids he has a major "butt chin" and they really couldn't get passed this after I showed photos and video footage of them. (at least they can put a name to the face though right?)

I also subbed in second grade, which was probably my favorite day at school yet!  I definitely prefer the younger grades and think second might be my favorite.  I had a minor freak out when I got to school that day and realized that the teacher left NOTHING for me, no plans, no worksheets, nothing.  But I survived and was able to be creative and use my own ideas and basically do whatever I want, which made for a really fun day.  It's days like these that remind me why I want to be a teacher!

After school when I was on bus duty one of the parents came up to me.  She heard my accent and asked "Are you Miss Alley?"  Of course I said yes and she proceeded to tell me all about how much her kids have talked about me and how much they have loved learned about America. (I guess she was a little confused when they brought home pictures of the American flag and state map)  But the best part of all was when she said that her kids were so confused how a "teenager" was able to teach them.  So apparently I look like a teenager and all the kids are so confused as to how I have graduated school and am a "real" teacher.

I am really going to miss BPS and feeling like a celebrity to the kids there.  Hopefully some of them will come visit me in America someday!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment