Monday, 18 July 2011

Trip to the Great Barrier Reef

Looking like a small child but ready to go!
 As some of you might know, this was not my first Great Barrier Reef experience.  I went there five years ago with my dad, but unfortunately I had mono and did not get to fully appreciate the experience.  Although I did still go in the water and swim around, I made it a point to make the most of the trip the second time around. 

The boat ride out to the reef took about an hour and a half and this was the BUMPIEST boat ride I have ever been on.  Bonnie and I just kept looking at each other hoping that one of us would not throw up.  Thankfully we made it to the first location safely.  Not everyone was required to wear wet suits but of course we wanted to "suit up" and look as legit as possible.  It was pretty wavy out there, but it was really neat to see all the coral, especially the spots where you could get right up close to it. (but of course not touch it)  I realized how terrible of a swimmer I really am and felt like I was swimming as fast as I could to stay with the group and was still lagging behind the entire time.  That being said I have no idea what types of fish or coral I saw, although it all looked good to me! 

We took a break for lunch and then rode to another location, thankfully it wasn't as waving driving there.  The Great Barrier Reef is quite a site to see and I would definitely recommend that people go scuba diving there if interested (the people sitting next to us did and they had some pretty sweet pictures).  Scuba diving is not for me, but we had a great time snorkeling!


Eyes closed again

Under water shots





Chased after this fish for awhile.  Pictures don't do it justice!

1 comment: